Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Envrionmentally friendly gas companies?

I was reading this article in the BBC about Nigeria flaring off natural gas from their oil wells, a wasteful and destructive practice. The oil companies (Shell oil) point their finger at the government while the government points their finger at shell. The whole thing makes me wonder, should I buy gas supplied by shell oil if they do this practice? I'm sure other companies are destructive as well. Are there any gas providers that strive for environmental excellence and fair humanitarian practices? How bought pushing for renewable energy and sustainable practices?
I just feel really uninformed, and the only decision that affects my gas buying is "what's at this exit." but maybe if i knew a little more, i could plan to buy my gas from "better" companies and maybe make a bit of difference in the world.
Peace.
mike

No comments: