Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Physics and Art of Fluid Flow

So a lot of times people ask me what I do, and I tell them: "I am developing a new flow visualization system to study the mixing of two scalars in a fluid flow." That is usually followed with a blank look, and then: "Cool, why? What's that good for."

Usually in conversation I don't have a good answer, but I can tell you that understanding fluid physics and turbulent flows is REALLY important. Nobel Prize winner Richard Freeman stated "Turbulence is the most important unsolved problem of classical physics." But I don't think that's what drew me to studying fluid flows. I think my reasoning might be more similar to the reason that Leonardo da Vinci studied it... That is, its beautiful.

So, you can imagine my excitement when I came across this course offering at University of Colorado: The Physics and Art of Fluid Flow. I'd encourage you to go and look at some of the galleries, and maybe you too will enjoy the beauty of one of the most complicated and misunderstood physical problems we know of.

Peace.
Mike

1 comment:

Claire said...

the things i like about you seem endless. but one of them is that you always have an incredible and yet simple reason for loving what you do.

miss you, friend.