Friday, February 23, 2007

Hobart, Tasmania

I was praying for somebody to kind of guide me on my entry into Tasmania, show me how to get to my hotel, tell me some good places to go backpacking, etc. Anyhow, I sit down on the plane and then next to me sit down this older couple in their 40's. Let me paint the picture for you:
Matching hiking outfits from the Columbia sportswear hats, matching hiking shirts, straight down to the same boots. I imagine they even had the same wool socks and capilean undies on. These are the kind of people who judge you based on what kind of gear you have.

Anyhow, they gave me some great advice on some trails to check out, and took me to where you catch the bus that takes you to the hostel! Answer to prayer? Check.

This is my first hostel experience, and its kind of fun. Let me tell you a little bit about Hobart:
Hobart is kind of similar to Portland. I say that because there are a tonne (yes, metric) of coffee shops and trendy stores, its very walkable, and it rains a good bit. everybody dresses like they're in an indy rock band. Its really pretty, there are a lot of gardens with roses and all sorts of flowers, a really cool market place, and street performers performing all kinds of music. There area lot of old houses, and churches here, and being on the hillside on the bay you feel like you're in the Mediterranean. I'd put some pictures up but I can't from this terminal. When i can, I will! An interesting note about Hobart is that the original Candbury Chocolate factory is here. I might go for a visit later, but right now I'm enjoying just walking the city.

Anyhow, tomorrow i catch a bus to lake st. Claire to do some hiking. I've bought fuel and i need to get some matches (things you can't bring on an airplane).

Oh, and i finished "through painted deserts" and have picked up a hilarious book "A walk in the woods" by Bill Bryson. If you've ever backpacked any part of the AT, or maybe just backpacked at all, you should enjoy this book.

anyhow, take care!
-Mike

1 comment:

Elleth said...

Im in love with Tasmania already...
and love the email, mikey! :)