Monday, February 19, 2007

The road to townsville (and back)

Sorry its been a long time since I last posted. A lot has happened but i will try to sum it up!

Over the past week or so we've been driving up to townsville. Roads in Australia are diffrent than in America. They're pretty much just 2 lane highways with long stretches of nothingness. The towns remind me of the old west, with a few shops and restaruants pulled right up to the highway. We stopped in one town to grab a bite to eat and the local grocer walked next door so he could be the postman for me as well. He was eager to have somebody new to talk to, and he had a really thick Aussie accent.

anyhow, we arrived in townsville after stoping for 2 days in the small town of bowen. where my cousin john lives. I havn't seen him since i was 9 so it was a good time. We went to magnetic island, fished, hiked, and had good times. I also went to a few australian pubs. People at pubs here are very friendly and willing to talk, as long as you take turns to "shout" drinks. I met a guy named tomo (a long haired brick layer) and his talktive girlfriend lucy. Also lockland, a kiwi that moved to Australia to do landscaping, and a guy named TC, also a kiwi who moved to Australia to work in the mines.

Anyhow, we're on our way back to brisbane now... be sure to check out the photo's on facebook and i'm sorry i dont have more time to write!

I'll be back soon!
-mike

1 comment:

Ed said...

Can you tell me anything about this "magnetic island" you visisted? How did you get there? How did you get home? Does the sequence 4 8 15 16 23 42 mean anything to you? Did you get Evangeline's number for me?

Dude - your trip sounds awesome. I wish I could have invited myself along and joined you. That's all I've got for now, but keep on keeping on.